Monday, July 22, 2013

America's Test Kitchen Cooking School

I'm taking online cooking classes! I've been considering this for a while, and decided now is the right time.

Here are some things I've learned so far:
  • Basil, chives, and parsley should never be used dried, because they lose their flavor dried.
  • Basil can be stored in water (change daily) on the counter for several days to prolong its freshness.
  • Use dried, Turkish bay leaves only and store them in the freezer. California bay leaves have a medicinal flavor, and are harder to find anyway.
  • Sage should be cooked; it's not a good finishing herb because of its cottony texture.
  • Goal: learn how to use marjoram and tarragon.
  • Spices shouldn't be kept on the counter or by the stove. This is one rule I'm breaking, because I just organized them all in my turn-table, and I can never find them when I store them in the cupboard.
  • Goal: try cumin seeds, not ground cumin.
I'm calling it a night; I've been up since 5am!

1 comment:

  1. Cumin has an awesome flavor... I'm wondering myself if using cumin seeds will make a difference in taste?

    ReplyDelete