Saturday, December 29, 2012

Lemon Pistachio Wreaths

Cookies for breakfast. Yesterday morning, at 7am, I had a little fire in my kitchen. Actually, it was kind of big and I almost got the fire extinguisher. And all I was doing was making my daily earl grey. My little sister and my husband slept right through the commotion as I extinguished the fire with a sprinkle of salt. My sister was so impressed with the salt trick that she said if she ever cooks anything on the stove, she'll keep the salt right next to her. Or she could start with a clean stove, I told her. I spent the next hour after breakfast pulling the stove apart and scrubbing it.

Anyway, these cookies are amazing anytime, but especially for breakfast with a cup of earl grey. I'm all about cookies for breakfast. 
 


Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup toasted chopped pistachios

Directions:
Sift the flour, cornstrach, baking powder, and salt together. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy, then add the egg yolks and almond extract and lemon zest and mix thoroughly. Add the flour mixture and mix thoroughly. Chill the dough for an hour, then roll out to a half inch thickness on a floured counter. Cut shapes with a donut cutter and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Don't let the cookies brown. Depending on the climate, you may need up to 1/4 cup more floor, either in the dough, or when you're rolling it out.

Mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar together and frost the cookies when they're cooled. Sprinkle the pistachios onto the cookies. This is a beautiful, delicious cookie. I love the flavor combination of lemon, almond, and pistachio.

No comments:

Post a Comment