Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Granola



Ingredients:
10 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned, not quick)
1 1/2 cups apple juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Optional, based on preference:
Add one or more of these based on what kind of granola you want.
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 cups raisins
2 cups coconut
2 cups nuts

I like to put coconut and nuts in my granola. I add raisins or dried cranberries when I'm eating it, because I don't like how they plump up when they're baking with the granola in the oven. But, maybe you like your raisins plump, so go for it.

Use a large cake sheet or two 9 x 13 glass pyrex dishes. Put the oats and any other optional ingredients you want to add in the dishes. Combine the apple juice, honey, oil, brown sugar, and salt in a pot on the stove, and turn on high. As soon as it comes to a boil, take it off the stove and pour over the oats. Mix completely. Put in the oven at 350, and stir every 15 minutes for about an hour, until it is all dried out and slightly golden. Cool and store. I'm not sure how long this granola can be stored for. I eat it all within 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment